Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I'm a Busy Busy Illegal Immigrant with work and family!!!



Ok,

Sorry I haven't posted an update lately.  My life is so busy right now!!!
Here is what my life looks like right now....
Monday-Friday
6:30-wake up
7:20-Leave for school
7:45- Start School
2:20- End School
2:30 Eat lunch at the school
4- Take a taxi home
4:20-10- Work more on my yearly planning and daily planning.  Play with my sisters if they pester me enough. Go to bed.

I teach 4-6 out of 8 classes a day, and the rest is planning time.  When the school gave me my schedule, I was so confused because there was no lunch break!!! I was like "Ummm WTF!!! I need to feed my food baby!!!"  So what happens here in Mexico is that the students will have 3 classes, then they have a 30 minute breakfast break around 10:30, then they have 3 more classes then a 10 minute break, then 2 more classes and then they go home for lunch and some come back for sports, PE, or art classes.  Also... Here, the teachers do not stay in the same classroom with the kids moving to their next class like in the States.  I have an office with all my stuff, and I travel with my stuff to the class I am teaching.  Pretty much each grade is divided into 4 separate classes depending on how smart the kids are overall in all subjects.  The classes are A, B, C, and D..... With the brighter kids in the A class....  How cruel is that?!?!?

My students are pretty funny... But I'm trying to get them not to speak any Spanish when I am in the classroom.... When they don't know how to say something, I make them explain it as best they can in English because they want to just say the word in Spanish.... But their vocabulary will grow if they can explain it...

Everyone is super nice at the school, today the security guard brought me pomegranites from his garden.  I am technically an illegal migrant worker (isn't that IRONIC!) right now since my paperwork for my work visa takes like 3 weeks.  They are afraid that the Secretary of Education will come and check the classes, so I kind of have to pretend to be a visitor if that happens before I get my visa.....

So my Mexican family is awesome!!!  I met them on my plane from Houston, I sat next to Grandma on the plane.  They were returning from their 5th trip to DisneyWorld.  Their house is amazing with granite covering the walls in their kitchen and a pool!  Chuy and Liliana are probably 35 and 43.  Their daughters Samantha and Lorreta are 10 and 7.  Chuy and the girls speak English very well, but Liliana does not speak any.  I also have two chihuahuas named Mandy and Chici.

My Mexican family spoils me so much!  The muchacha(house-keeper) makes my bed, tidies my room, cleans my clothes, irons my clothes, makes me food if I want, puts my clothes away.....  On Saturday we went to the Santos Soccer game.  They are the best soccer team in Mexico and they reside in Torreon!!!  Last Sunday we went to lunch at Liliana's parents house with her whole family.  There was a little boy about 4 years old who was watch a Michael Jackson Concert from the early 90's. It is very popular to watch concerts on dvd here.  The little boy new all the dances that MJ was doing on the tv, I was laughing so hard!

Everywhere I go, people stare at me because I look so different from them.  It's kind of funny....

A huge black moth the size of my hand
Pool
Entry From the BackYard
Kitchen
My Room
At the Soccer game

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!! Loved the pictures!!! What a great way to live in Mexico jajaja! :) Y veo que estas ssuper involucrada en tu planificacion de las clases! Cuidate mucho chica! uN besote y un fuerte abrazo desde OR <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic Carolyn! I am so happy for you and proud of you for doing so well!!! :D Can't wait to hear more! Couldn't imagine someone bringing in fresh pomegranite from their garden! So jealous! And that pool with a waterfall! So awesome! Hope to talk to you soon! Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and btw, you can tell that that lil' girl adores you so much! So CUTE! :)

    ReplyDelete