Sunday, August 15, 2010

Arrival

Upon popular request, I am starting a blog of my adventures in Mexico.  Thank you all for your love and support.  I had the best last week in Portland with all my friends and family.  I will so miss kissing my little brothers' chubby cheeks.

I got to the airport about 20 minutes later than I had planned.  With my mother and little brothers at my side, I was flabbergasted as I checked my bags in.  My bestie, Natalya, came to see me off.  The Continental lady weighed my bags.  I had two bags I was checking in and I prepaid an over-weight limit for my huge duffle bag that could fit two of me.... My first bag was 53.8 lbs. and my over-weight duffle bag was 68.4 lbs.  As the lady walked away, I started stuffing more in the duffle.  My high-school spanish teacher, Senor Walker, met me at security to wish me luck.
I was only allowed one carry-on and one personal item on the plane with me, but being that I like to think I am above rules, I had an over-stuffed roll-on bag, a huge beach-like bag filled to capacity, a pillow, and a large make-up box....  No one said anything, probably because I loaded my bag and box on my shoulder on the opposite side of the ticket person so they wouldn't notice...

My first flight was so packed and I was in the middle seat.  Luckily I had my pillow to lean against the seat in front of me and fell asleep for a few hours.  On my second flight, I flew in a little plane.  I sat next to a grandma and her family.  She told me that the school I am going to teach at was one of the best in the area.  They invited me to come over to their home when ever I want.  I also met another English teacher from Canada about my age, who is to teach at another school, so I gave her my contact.  Victoria, my contact with the school, is so kind and beautiful.  She will introduce me to the school tomorrow.

Hope I didn't bore you with my first blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chica!
    I loved your story about the make up box! :)
    Can't wait for more pictures and your first impression of the school!
    Cuidate mucho!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great to hear Carolyn! You already met another teacher like you and you're making great connections before you even stepped foot in Torreon! Sounds to me like this year is gonna pass by very quickly! Can't wait to hear all about your house and family you will be staying with and I loved that you managed to stuff more clothes in your bag after the lady left for a second, you are hilarious! Good thinking and please keep up the blogging! LOVES! :)

    ReplyDelete